Sunday, October 13, 2013

Fourth Street Bakery divided by College Station

I left the church around 9 the next morning.  Luckily, no one came in to the church that morning... I made it out alive...the fear of an angry old man pointing a gun at me for trespassing seemed quite silly now that the sun was shining on my face.

It was nice and cool out.  The humidity was rolling in quickly, without hesitation.  It was a nice ride into Lexington.  The town was quiet.  I was interested in finding a coffee and some breakfast.  So I circled around the town.  Not much was happening at all.  Seemed like the whole town could have still been asleep.  It was nice.  Quiet.

I noticed the town was run by women (surprise, surprise..  ;) ..) when I passed the Pink Chamber of Commerce sign..decorated with a small chandelier...in a petite brick building... across the street from the 8, black, polished, police chargers sitting in front of the station.

I road into a auto shop for some direction.  Mark, the mechanic, pointed me just across the street to a bakery.  He was sort of a funny little character...with small, round glasses, and the authentic jean jump suit...
I was eager to get on the road, but we chatted for a minute about where I was from and what I was doing... He wasn't a big fan of Austin himself (as I am sure most people living in East Texas feel the same way)... He informed me Kim, the woman who owns the bakery, used to live in Austin for quite some time.  She makes the carrot cakes and cupcakes for thunder-cloud subs, in fact (for everyone/anyone who knows of thunder-cloud).

Anyway, I say goodbye to Mark and head over to meet this lovely lady.



I walk in, and order some breakfast.  I told her about my encounter with Mark, and asked her about her business...why she had moved to Lexington, Texas, of all places, from Austin.

Kim, began to tell me of all the changes in Austin, in the past 20 some years.
Originally from Orange County, CA, she moved to Austin, to help a friend who had a new born baby.
She wasn't really attached to anything, anymore, in Orange County, so her gypsy self decided, why the hell not...?

When Austin became too much, she decided to move out to the quiet country town of Lexington.
Quite a while back she was lucky enough to find that person.  Her other half.
She told me of the ups and downs they had.
Some how they always managed to find their way back to each other, over 40 years.
And now, once things seemed to settle down, illness rears it's ugly head.
He moved to Lexington for her, and was recently diagnosed with stage 4 cancer.

The way she told me her story of the struggle with that one person....her person.
The person you go and call whenever you want to talk
Or the person you call when you don't really have anything to say.
The person you understand up and down.
The person that becomes apart of you...
Reminded me how beautiful connection is.
That the bull shit that gets in the way.
Anger.  Jealousy.  Doubt.  Pride.
Is there when you forget how precious time is.

Kim told me, "Keep on keepin' on.  Find your independence. Love yourself.  If you have your person.  Love that person.  If not.  Be yourself and open enough to allow people inn...before you get to the point where you don't want to meet new people. Dig in."

That was the best breakfast I have had in a long time...for more than just the tasty eggs, obviously.



It was a pretty deep start to my day...haha.
Thanks ladies :)  it was a great chat.  xoxo



 Tina, Kim's friend, mentioned that Elgin won the football game the night before.  I think they were the under dogs, from what I understood, so it was an exiting win I am sure.

I made my way out of Lexington on 696 and saw this....



I figured it was a good sign for what is coming for me soon enough ;)

It seemed like the sky was ready to drop grey and blue water balloons, the whole way to the station.
It was beautiful :)
The breeze was refreshing.  It was a good day to listen to Kings of Leon.



I didn't really know what to expect out of A&M.
I was so happy Zach was kind enough to let me crash on his couch.
He was a wonderful host.  It was fun to explore North Gate.
I was really impressed with the night life (I don't know why...it is a college town)
I, admittedly, was expecting a bonfire, a football game, and cowboys... which would have been 100% okay with me :) haha.  I was ready to embrace the country side within me.
I think listening to some Johnny Cash on my way into town helped fill that void...




North Gate seemed more like a (very) small 6th street...with a hint of Ft. Worth.
Regardless, I got a shower, a comfy couch, some beer, and great company!
It was pleasant surprise to run into an old friend, from 3rd grade...Mr. Kuecker!
It was really nice to see more familiar faces than expected.
I am glad I made the trek East for sure!  It was quite the experience. Thanks fellas!




Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment