Wednesday, October 16, 2013

little miracles.

Glen carefully dropped me off in Buffalo.. making sure I had a safe roof over my head.
I got a cheap(ish) motel room for the night..(after the young and wild adventure, it is always hard to shovel out money for a place to sleep...knowing you could sleep somewhere for free..)

The next day I got another late start, due to a full night of blogging and Facebook...I got on the road about 12 pm, after a cup of coffee.

I started off on Old Hwy 75.  Lush, green, rolling pastures for miles.






It was a long, quiet day of riding... though, the dogs definitely kept me on my toes.
I wasn't feeling as motivated as I had the rest of the week.
I saw few cars.  I saw few faces.  I said nothing.  My mind was quiet.


As each day passes, however...I think less and less about the first tour...The Young Philanthropists...  The one where I met 8 strangers.  The one where I fell for a guy.  The one where we road 7,000 miles around the country in 5 months...  I no longer affiliate my everyday life to that experience anymore...I am, thankfully, after 4 months, in the midst of creating something new...I no longer wish to be on the road of that ride..I no longer sulk in the past.





I think the thing I love most about the country is no matter how large or small the house is, there is always plenty of chairs for everyone...around a fire pit, on a porch, or under a shady tree.


...so, I road from Buffalo to Corsicana.
I arrived in a some-what sketchy side of town..after dark..hungry and tired.
I forgot how nice it was to know where you get to rest your head each night.
I just couldn't bring myself to purchase another room.

I road to a Dominos.  Ordered a small pizza.  I got the usual strange looks from customers coming to pick up their pizzas..to enjoy in their cozy homes.
It amuses me how people turn their heads.  Shyly. Discreetly... trying to quickly analyze and make sense of my dirt covered legs...my ridiculous bike shorts...and the loaded bicycle, outside.
sometimes they ask about it... sometimes they don't.

I found a church behind Domino's...but it was a loud area, so I decided to keep looking around.
I road east a few blocks toward the downtown square... old red brick buildings, with christmas lights up in the trees.  It felt safe.


I started to ride North out of Corsicana...toward Ennis (the next major city).
Not wanting to risk getting hit, I decided I'd camp out at another church... I found one conveniently located right on the Farm Road I planned on taking out of town.

I road up the parking lot and around to the back of the building.
I get pretty lazy when it comes to setting up the tent...so I decided to utilize the fort :)
As a conséquence, I did get torn up by the damn mosquitos...


Around 8:30 the next morning, a large truck muffler turning into the parking lot woke me.
First thought... Oh fuck..
Then, a car door. Then footsteps in the rocks of the playground....Then a "Hello!?!"

I shyly relied ..hiii...
I wasn't expecting a courtesy call for check out...let alone, a check out messenger.
The man, John, was rather confused and frustrated with my shelter decision.
I explained to him about how I arrived here behind the church...which also turned out to be a school of sorts...where his daughter attended kindergarden, and his Wife, Debrah, was teaching first grade.
After telling him my situation, he seemed to cool off a bit, but wasn't quite sold on the idea.
He was a kind enough man just protecting his wife and daughter from potential danger.
I can respect that.
He walked off scratching his head.

I started to pack up my sleeping bag when John came back out to the playground.. this time with Debrah, his wife.

She was super kind.  with a genuine smile.  meeting her was a nice way to turn the day around.  She wasn't frightened of me.  I could feel and see her love. her openness.  she must have been a true mother... like my mother.

We all chatted for a moment.
Eventually John left and Debrah went back to class.
A few moments later when I was just about ready to go, Debrah came back outside.
She invited me to use the bathroom if I needed.  (a small miracle in itself).

I was back on the road, earlier today...
Today was the day I would make it to Dallas! :)
The day started with little miracles that didn't stop.

I pulled off for a late breakfast at Waffle House in Ennis, Texas.
Food tastes so much better when you are pedaling all day...
I went to the counter to pay my bill... after a few minutes, another waitress informed me someone had paid for my meal and tip...


I made my way, away from the highway.  I hung a right onto Main St., running parallel to the railroad tracks.  It felt old. It had history.  I enjoyed riding there.  The houses are all different shapes, colors, sizes.  The neighborhoods all have stories to tell.  The trains have so much history vibrating through the rails.

I often turn around to check for cars and dogs.  I turn around once and notice a man in his lawn.  I shout "Hey!"  He shouts "Hey!" back.. I keep pedaling on.



After about 10 miles down the road, the man I exchanged "Hey!"'s with, Tommy, drove up in a green truck.
He handed me $20 dollars and said, "I don''t know what you are doing out here, but the Lord moved me to come give you something, to help you."...  The rain started to pick up.
I explained to him what I was doing and (as best I could) why I was doing it.
He was surprised, but smiled, joyfully.
He blessed me. Wished me safety. And told me I shouldn't keep doing this for much longer.  He said, "what ever you are looking for out here...God is it."
I thanked him again.  I told him I appreciate him taking the time to talk with me.  That is after all part of the reason why I am doing what I'm doing...
We said our goodbyes and went our separate ways, with lifted spirits.



The rain stayed pretty steady and strong for most of the day.
When I finally reached Dallas the clouds started to separate.






I made it to the DART downtown around 6.
Got on the Green line to North Carrolton.
Transfered to the Denton A Track
Arrived at the Highland Village/Lewisville Lake station just before dark around 7.
The pedal home only took about 20 minutes. :)
I give the Dallas DART 5 stars! (Austin needs to get their shit together!)

It is good to be home :)
Cheers.


1 comment:

  1. It's good to have you home! I love you dearly, daughter.

    ReplyDelete