Sunday, November 24, 2013

Tulia to Amarillo

I knew the day was going to be nothing short of great when I road off with the sound of the high school band playing "Shake That".

It was another windy day of quiet riding.  Around 1:00 PM I reached a cross roads.  I had time to make it to Palo Duro and walk around for a bit before I went ahead to Amarillo.  I was tired, but you can't say no to such a chance.  So I started riding toward the Canyon.

It was a flat ride, but again my drive was running low.  When I got to the Welcome center in the park it was about 2:30...I was tired, and pretty lonely, again.  Thinking this is one of those moments you wish you had a buddy.  A partner in crime.  Or something like that.

After I sat, looking into the depth of empty beauty for some time, I got a text message from an unknown number.  Wondering if I wanted a ride to Colorado.  (I had posted an add on rideshare via Craigslist, to see what would pop up).  I was just about ready to take it.  I told the guy I was interested, but it would probably take me about 3 hours to get back out to the highway. ( I wasn't quite done marveling and there would be quite a hefty head wind coming my way)... in the end, the ride didn't pan out... and I am better for it.

I entered the welcome center to relieve myself before heading out... little did I know I would meet my next inspiration...
Miss Doss, the Welcomer of the Welcome Center greeted me with cheer.  She was so excited to see me...she said "Oh! you are the girl who I saw riding her bike on the side of the road on my way to work today!" .. I couldn't help but smile and laugh.
She continued to tell me she and her husband, now passed, used to ride through the canyon, 19 miles, one way, every Saturday.  The way she said it, with such pride...
She offered me snacks, coffee, and water.  Then for my autograph...again I laughed.
She gave me the strength and encouragement to get to Amarillo, despite that damn wind.



I texted the Mabry daughters, Lindy and Lexie, I was on my way...
I hit some unexpected hills and crevices from the canyon, once I turned on Washington St.  Luckily, I had the wind at my back at this point.
Under the highway I road, with no sidewalks to be found.
Then to hang a left onto some smelly industrial tracks...
Making my way towards some unexpected, trafficless, gravel road.
The sun was down at this point and again I was at another busy road with no sidewalk relief...I wasn't feeling quite as trusting at this point.  Only 3 mile stretch of three lanes of traffic barreling toward downtown.
I decided it was best to give Lindy a call for some help.
She retrieved me and my bike from the gas station.




No comments:

Post a Comment