Thursday, October 24, 2013

Mom and Family

I guess these are some of the things that went through my head after visiting home last week...

Through the wild youngster years.  To the rebellious teen.  Onto the young, confused adult... to the first bike ride (the beginning of this year)... almost 23 years later, now, on my solo ride.  I have been supported in my choices, by my family... occasionally, it took some time for them to warm up to my ideas.. other times it meant them sitting back, waiting for me to fall on my ass and figure it out... I have always kept them on their toes... it keeps us young.

If we really think about it...we are older than we give ourselves credit for.. 9 months older, that is... we never really think about those 9 months we are so dependently being created.  Those are probably some of our most, if not the most crucial months of our existence... which is pretty bizarre, considering we don't have much say in the matter... maybe we tend to forget about the sacrifice others make, in our defense..


The things we don't see or understand.  The things we don't (remember) feel(ing).  These things tend to get lost in our own world of present problems.


(((Dear Mom moment/tangent...

I can only imagine how it feels to create and nurture another person.. to build a home with and for this person, for decades... only then, to have that person do nothing, but give you grief for a good chunk of time... in the home you practiced nurturing, destroying, and loving... and then (this is the kicker), they decide to travel around the world on their bicycle...


I guess what I am trying to say is I am sorry for causing you grief all those years.. only for my own insecurities, ego, and selfishness... I am working on it.. Thanks for your support. )))


To my family...thanks for sticking behind me.. whether you understand what I am doing on the road, or not... that is what love is.  :)  It feels very real.




Doing what I want, when I want, how I want.. comes with a great price, to the relationship I have with my family... It usually costs me time and space with them.  I miss the fun celebrations like weddings and holidays.  I miss the everyday growth of my brother and sisters...my cousins and nephews.  The casual time with my parents.

Part of my goal of being on the road, is to allow myself the time and space for the family.  To see them in their environment.  To witness the homes they have built for themselves.  To see their world.

on that note....

“HAPPINESS [is] ONLY REAL WHEN SHARED” 
― Jon KrakauerInto the Wild

No comments:

Post a Comment