Friday, November 8, 2013

The first stop.




I have made it.  My first stop.  I've hit my limit on solo-miles, for now.  The desire to keep my butt on the bicycle is gone.  The winter days are short, leaving me cold and disappointed in the progress.  I decided after 50 miles of county roads to Plainview yesterday, that I was ready for my first extended break to begin.  For the next two weeks I'll be staying at my buddies house here in Lubbock.  Helping out as I can.  Pick up some volunteer projects.  Enjoying game days with friends.  Hanging out with the new friends I made back in Guthrie.  Around thanksgiving I am hoping to hitch a ride with Kelsey and Clint to Denver.

Earlier this week I felt bad about quitting...  especially after a few conflicting, yet encouraging, conversations with some friends.  I was worried about letting people down... but as more time passes between myself and the first bicycle ride,  I start to create my own path again... holding on to the confidence and trust I gained.  Leaving behind the expectation of pedaling every mile.  Encouraging the dance with the unknown flow.

Maybe there was enough fear instilled in me to stop..  but once I stopped, and I got over myself.. I started to think of the other things I want to do in life... rock climbing, bass jumping, surf, climb a mountain, explore the world.  To think of all the stories I still get to hear.  It reminds me that this is just a chance for an extended stay to visit and connect with friends.  


My rough outline is to make it to Colorado, find a part or full time job at a ski resort.  Learn that culture, learn how to snowboard.  Meet new people.  Have a good time.  Figure out where I want to go when the weather warms up.  Maybe international.  We shall see.


No comments:

Post a Comment